October 15th is Global Handwashing Day and in celebration of this sudsy day, we wanted to dedicate our blog to soap. Think of it as a singing ode to soap.
Did you know that everything your hand touches it has germs and you can’t always see those germs. So taking time to wash your hands for 20 seconds or more is key to help prevent 1-in-5 respiratory illnesses and 1-in-3 gastrointestinal illnesses. The best tip for handwashing is singing Happy Birthday twice – hence a SOAP OPERA
In addition, with the unprecedented nature of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, handwashing hygiene is playing an even more crucial role in keeping safe and healthy.
So one may think that any soap will work….well, the answer is, yes and no. With people washing their hands more often, some soap ingredients may dry-out or aggravate existing skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. Hence, it’s important to know what is in your soap. Using the wrong soap and/or overuse, such as antibacterial soaps, can kill too much bacteria, including the good kind; This can, in turn, allow bad bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics to move-in and cause other issues. [Source]
Soap is a crucial part of health and wellness, as well as a good skincare routine; however, choosing the soaps with the right ingredients that suits your individual skin needs is also critical – and this need can also change based on the seasons. Below we outline a few tips on how to select the right soap and what to look for in terms of ingredients.
What the ingredients mean for you….
Soaps usually just have a couple of ingredients: oil, water, and lye – it’s the chemical reaction between these ingredients that turns them into soap. Additionally, most soaps have other ingredients that provide benefits to the soap such as color, the individual oil and scent.
So, one might ask if lye is necessary in all handcrafted soaps – the answer is, if there isn’t any lye, there isn’t any soap. According to the Soap Guild organization (an organization for soapmaking) It’s the reaction between the lye and the oils that produces soap. Once the saponification (the “reaction”) is complete, all of the lye is converted into a soap; there is no lye remaining in the finished soap bar. With that said, there are two types of lye used by soapmakers – sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide is used to make solid soap; potassium hydroxide is used to make liquid soap; the combination of the two is used to make cream soap. [Source]
So the oil ingredient is actually key to making sure that the particular soap is beneficial to your skincare. Oils such as coconut or palm kernel, olive, soy or palm oils, castor, apricot, avocado, almond, jojoba, hemp or other nut or seed oils, or butters such as cocoa, mango or shea butter. Each oil has its benefits; below we are going to address a few, but it’s important to always research which one works best for your skin type.
Glycerin – a natural humectant that brings in moisture to your skin; ideal for easily irritated, or sensitive skin.
Coconut oil – derived from coconut milk has been found to help ease symptoms by soothing the skin and reducing irritation and itching. It’s naturally moisturizing, has antimicrobial and antifungal properties, and is rich in antioxidants and Vitamin E
Almond Oil – a natural moisturizer which nourishes and soothes skin and eases dryness; Almond oil is rich in Vitamins E and D.
Avocado Oil – this extremely moisturizing oil is rich in skin-nourishing Vitamins A, D and E, which also helps to rejuvenate damaged skin.
Shea butter – also a common ingredient in soap, moisturizes without clogging pores, great for all skin types, has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antifungal properties, and helps sooth conditions such eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis
Oatmeal – Known as a ‘wonder’ ingredient, oatmeal and its powerful healing protect your skin from harsh elements. Oatmeal is a great anti-inflammatory agent and has a score of antioxidants. It’s a gently exfoliating soap and great for cleansing all skin types.
Essential Oils – made by distilling the essences of plants and herbs, essential oils preserve medicinal and aromatic plants’ properties.
Fragrance Oils – produced by the combination of essential oils and synthetic scents derived from natural sources for scent purposes.
At Bella Rose Boutique we carry all types of great soaps, five of our company’s offer a wide-array of great soaps as follows:
The beautiful and fun UK-based Bomb Cosmetics handmade soaps are made from a vegetable-based glycerine, which means they are Vegan Friendly! They are:
- Mild with neutral Ph and gently cleanses
- Contains pure essential oils, skillfully-blended to help alter or enhance your mood and benefit your skin
La Chatelaine’s vegetable-based soaps are made in Provence, France using time-honored craftsmanship and ethically-sourced natural and organic ingredients:
- Enriched with Organic Shea Butter, Organic Calendula, Organic Argan Oil, and Vitamin E to leave your skin feeling cleansed, soft, and moisturized
- They are triple-milled resulting in a long lasting bar with a luxurious lather
- The scents are phthalate-free and created by distinguished perfumers in Grasse, France
- Cruelty-free and formulated without BHT, Parabens, Phthalates, Gluten, Soy or GMO’s
- These chic hand-wrapped soaps will make the perfect treat for natural-beauty buffs or a coveted gift for any occasion.
Mistral: Made in France, these beautifully designed and great smelling soaps are made with:
- Pure organic shea butter and olive oil
- Gentle and moisturizing for dry, sensitive skin
- French-milled soap for long-lasting use
- Beautifully fragrance oils
The Mistral’s Men’s line features:
- Vegetable-based formula with moisturizing glycerin, replenishing Argan oil and antioxidant-rich grape leaf extract
- Super-rich lather
- Non-drying bar soap
- Tested on men, not animals
Musee: The Musee Bar Soaps nourish your skin to ensure an ultimate moisturizing experience:
- Their lovely Shea butter, cold-pressed soaps are made from all natural and essential oils to nourish the skin
- they are perfect for everyday use and to serve as a small reminder on the simple joys in life
- And the packaging is oh so adorable! Like the “Celebrate” soap that features birthday cakes, making it perfect for gifting
Dani Naturals – Made in Oregon, these great moisturizing liquid soaps are coconut-derived cleansers that provide a gentle cleansing experience with a rich lather:
- Using organic Aloe Vera and soothing glycerin to keep skin retain moisture
- Antibacterial and non-toxic
- Cruelty- and sulfate-free
- And great for sensitive skin
Check out and try these soaps at Bella Rose Boutique…..they are perfect to have on hand for gifting, stocking stuffers, hostess gifts, or everyday use.
#GlobalHandwashingDay and #OurFutureAtHand #KeepHandsClean